Arise & Shine

Arise & Shine

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Potty Training...WHAT?

Some people may wonder why I'm posting about potty training when I just had my baby 9 weeks ago...well the truth is that we have been potty training Jaxon since he was about 2 weeks old...WHAT?!? Crazy right? Yeah I know, I am amazed myself at how smart and aware this little boy is! So at about 2 weeks old my cousin Lisa Woodruff came to my house to teach me about this mysterious task.  She has four little girls and has done it with all of them! She even said that she had one of her little girls in panties at 9 months old..she probably wasn't even walking yet ha.  Well, when I first heard about this Infant Potty Training Class that my cousin teaches, I was so curious that I HAD TO KNOW!  It only took about 2 hours and then she left me to face the task on my own...And surprisingly it has been a lot less stressful than I imagined.  These little humans are smarter than we think! Jaxon no longer has poopy diapers...no lie! I mean I guess we have the occasional poopy diaper when we are travelling far distances and are unable to get to the sink/toilet in time, but seriously, he knows that if he holds it then mommy will come take him to the potty!! It's the most spectacular thing I have ever witnessed and now been a part of! There is no question about it, I am going to do this with ALL of my children.  You may wonder what kind of crazy person has the ambition to keep it up and why...hmmm well let's think this through....NO MORE poopy diapers....NO MORE diaper rash.....NO MORE blowouts......NO MORE stinky children (well I guess they can and will still let the occasional gas bubble out haha), but the list goes on and on! Jaxon is actually to the point where he will fuss when he needs to go to the bathroom, he knows that he would rather go potty in the sink than sit in his poopy diaper! Simply AMAZING!  Well I guess if you've read this far, you're obviously interested in this marvelous mystery, so let me explain:

Tip #1: Be consistent - if they know mom is going to come take them to the bathroom, they will hold it! They really will, just be consistent.
Tip #2: Key timing - take them right after they wake up, right after you feed them, right before you go out the door, and whenever you think they need to go (they are just little humans and go at similar times we do)
Tip #3: Don't get discouraged - You're not going to catch every single dirty diaper, it's just the way it is.  Just do your best, but don't let it overtake your life or overwhelm you.  It is meant to take away the stress, rather than build it up.
Tip #4: Be positive - it should be a positive experience for the child, so do not take them to the bathroom when they are angry and crying.  But you be the judge.  (For example, sometimes Jaxon will be a little fussy and taking him to the bathroom will calm him - whether it was because he needed to go to the bathroom or just because he wanted to hang over the sink and stare at the lights haha).  Also, be sure to praise, encourage, and cheer them on! All children need praise!
Tip #5: Work together - I suggest getting your spouse involved because I think it makes them feel like they are helping out (personally I think the husband would rather be on diaper duty if they do not have to actually change a poopy diaper!) - who knew it was possible?!?


 
Well, best of luck to all those who decide to try! I think it's at least worth a try, you'll be surprised at how smart these little guys are!! Just give them a chance and stick with it...you can always pick it up again if it didn't work out at first :)

2 comments:

  1. That is simply amazing!! Hats off to you for your patience! I may need you to give me some lessons if I get brave enough to give it a try. So how many times per day do you take him??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you, we have really been amazed!! And I'm happy to help any way I can, and Jaxon is not afraid to show off either ;) I haven't ever really kept track of how many times a day I take him, but it's less and less as he gets older. It also varies depending on how much they are sleeping throughout the day, but I would say i probably take him about 7 or 8 times.

    ReplyDelete